police towed my car

не знаю куда запостить…

пишу от имени соседа-американца:

I live in apartment complex. I have my own off-street parking space but recently I decided to sell my car. So I sticked pair of “for sale” signs with my telephone number and parked the car on the street across the apartment where I live. Parking on the street is allowed if you have resident parking permit which I obtained few days before and hooked to the mirror in the car. So today I came back from work and found out that my car got towed away. Called police and they explained to me that might one of the neighbors complained about unattended car (car was parked absolutely legally) in front of their house (though it is public parking with permit which I have), police made a note in their computer system and waited for 48 hours to see whether the car is going to be attended or not. Even if there is such a law, I think police must leave some sort of notes or warnings on the car. and there was No tickets whatsoever since it was parked legally.
Police said that there is NJ law that states the abovementioned procedure. where can i find that law? is that so? Can I hold the police department to pay towing charges? Small claims court or hire a lawyer?
Instead of towing away the car they could just verify by hanging resident permit card that I live across the street.

Please advise.

п.с. да и у чувака денег-то нет- после тяжелго неприятного развода.

Вот закон:

NJSA 39:4-56.5. Abandonment of motor vehicle

First offense: Fine ranging from $100-$500 and license or driving privileges may be suspended or revoked for not more than 2 years. Subsequent offense: Fine ranging from $500-$1000 and license or driving privileges may be suspended or revoked for a period of not more than 5 years. For information regarding points or surcharges contact the Motor Vehicle Commission. For information about car insurance eligibility and points contact your car insurance company or the New Jersey Department of Insurance.

1. a. It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon a motor vehicle on or along any highway, other than a limited access highway, or other public property or on any private property without the consent of the owner or other person in charge of the private property. A vehicle which has remained on or along any highway or other public property or on private property without such consent for a period of more than 48 hours or for any period without current license plates shall be presumed to be an abandoned motor vehicle. Vehicles used or to be used in the construction, operation or maintenance of public utility facilities and which are left in a manner which does not interfere with the normal movement of traffic shall not be considered abandoned vehicles for the purposes of this section.

b. It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon a motor vehicle on or along any limited access highway without the consent of the State Department of Transportation or other entity having jurisdiction over the limited access highway, as the case may be. A vehicle which remains on or along such a highway for a period of more than four hours or for any period without current license plates shall be presumed to be an abandoned motor vehicle. Legally parked vehicles, such as vehicles parked in a designated rest area for not more than 12 hours, or vehicles used or to be used in the construction, operation or maintenance of public utility facilities and which are left in a manner which does not interfere with the normal movement of traffic shall not be considered abandoned vehicles for the purposes of this section.

c. Any person who violates this section shall be subject for the first offense to a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 and his license or driving privilege may be suspended or revoked b by the director for not more than two years. For any subsequent violation he shall be subject to a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000, and his license or driving privilege be suspended or revoked for a period of not more than five years.

На машине были номера?

номера были, парковка публичная с разрешением, которое имелось. No ticket. Проблема в том, как мне кажется, полиция должна была предупредить об эвакуации (similarly “eviction notice”)

В законе ничего нет об [eviction notice]. Похоже, они просто прозевали [resident parking permit]. Где он находился?

не-а, не прозевали. Висят, там где надо.
Called police and they explained to me that might one of the neighbors complained about unattended car and they towed the car because of complain after 48 hours considering unattended vehicle without giving any notice.

Тогда фигня. А что делать, если в отпуск уехали?

Дальше мне что-то тяжело придумать, тк конкретного опыта нет. Всегда можно проконсультироваться с адвокатом, а еще лучше - с несколькими. Вопрос в том, сравнима ли отсуживаемая сумма с гонораром адвоката.

строго все

У меня не такая была ситуация, но немного похожая. Мне дали тикет, что якобы не заплатила за паркинг. Я сделала копию своего паркинг пермит и послала к ним на обжалование и не платила ничего. Пришло потом письмо с уведомлением, что они были не правы и мне платить ничего не надо.