Практикуемся в английском

How’s it going so far? Have you made any shots?

I found a very interesting rule regarding modal verb “TO BE”. I have never seen before the phrases like this: I am to do something. OR He is to win the game. And etc. Yesterday in my school book I saw a phrase: “if he is to grasp…”. I couldn’t believe this structure is grammatically correct! Then I did a search in Google and found that modal verb “TO BE” may have the meaning as “supposed to”. By another words the phrase “I am to do something” = “I am supposed to do something”.

Moreover, in some explanation they mention that modal verb “TO BE” means also “fateful destiny”. How exiting! And this is true. F.e. in my phrase “if the reader is to grasp your precise meaning”, they mean the reader’s destiny (or mission) is to understand what writer wants to say.

So, now I am to use this rule in my writing:)))

Sorry, I’m not sure, what exactly do you mean?

I meant “have you taken any photos yet?” :slight_smile:

I have nice landscape gallery on panoramio, welcome ) http://www.panoramio.com/user/645102
and I have nice small site about spherical photo-panoramas http://3dpanorama.kz/www/

Wonderful landscape! Fantastic photos!

Thank you.
What can you say about the conduct of summer vacation?

hi everybody
tell me, which means “eenie meenie” ))

“Eeny, meeny, miny, moe”, which can be spelled a number of ways, is a children’s counting rhyme, used to select a person to be “it” for games and similar purposes. The rhyme has existed in various forms since the 1850s, or perhaps earlier, and is common in many languages, with similar-sounding nonsense syllables.

Since many similar counting rhymes existed earlier, it is difficult to ascertain this rhyme’s exact origin

wikipedia

А кто сталкивался с ударением в предложении? Я имею ввиду ритмику, певучесть языка. Я недавно обнаружила, что ударения то ставлю по-русски. Вот к примеру, фразу “always trying to check out how far they can go playing extreme”, я читаю с ударением на слова (синим): “always trying to check out how far they can go playing extreme”. A переводчик в Google читает, делая ударения на другие слова: “always trying to check out how far they can go playing extrem”. Как с этим бороться?:slight_smile:

This topic only for English! :flo:

You would to watch a movie in English, listen to radio and podcasts, search for a person talking with native English.

Thank you. I watch movies, listen radio everyday and speak with American (native speaker) by Skype everyday. I mean that I just never paid attention to this issue. Now I do and wonder if anybody has this experience or things to do for improvement.

I have started to learn English in a social network.I speak English very freely now):slight_smile:

Бороться с чем? С вашим языком или с гуглом? :))

But seriously, you have to precisely repeat sentences spoken by the native speaker in the movie or podcast. You have to repeat them many times in exact way. Later, gained experience, combined with your own way of speaking, will allow you to speak the way the natives do.

BTW do not use google, prompt or lingvo to do this.

Usually I use the online dictionaries to translate the exact words which I don`t understand. Is that bad?

not at all

Your idea “to translate only the words that you don’t understand” is acceptable ( as long as we are not talking about the fact, that you shouldn’t translate at all ( you need to understand the meaning of sentence without referring to the different language ) :slight_smile: ).

1 лайк

Вам не нужно будет помнить как переводится [sour], если вы будете знать, что [Citric acid makes lemons taste sour].

Oh… This seems like a dream 4 me
:slight_smile: